[icecast] icecast2 disconnects..

steve j. kondik shade at chemlab.org
Sun Oct 6 04:40:17 UTC 2002

ugh.  this is a showstopper.. is there any fix yet?  i'm having the same
issue.  if i HUP ices, it doesn't cause my client to reconnect (the song
changes and the metadata updates) but when it normally switches tracks,
the stream ends.  i also see "invalid password" messages in my error
log..

> weird..I posted this a few days ago, but it never showed up...
>
> anyway, here it is (again) :)
>
> while we are talking about disconnects, I'll mention the fact that
> apparently when metadata song changes are done by a source (mine namely),
> icecast2 seems to want to disconnect each listener. I have confirmed that
> on metadata song changes, on the source client, no closing of the sockets
> are done, only logical vorbis bitstream closings....
>
> you can see this very clearly by using wget on a icecast2 vorbis stream,
> and when my source client sends new metadata, wget exits immediately..so
> this is telling me that icecast2 is definately closing the socket...most
> people probably don't notice this much because I believe both winamp and
> xmms will immediately try reconnect at least once, which succeeds (and has
> the also unlikely effect of rebuffering many times)...
>
> anyway, I would love to provide a patch for this for icecast2, as I am
> currently swamped with work, but I thought I would at least mention it....
>

> oddsock

http://chemlab.org  -  email shade-pgpkey at chemlab.org for pgp public key
  chemlab radio!    -  drop out @ http://mp3.chemlab.org:8000   24-7-365

"i could build anything if i could just find my tools.."