[icecast] icecast2 disconnects..

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sat Oct 5 02:29:05 UTC 2002

weird..I posted this a few days ago, but it never showed up...

anyway, here it is (again) :)

while we are talking about disconnects, I'll mention the fact that
apparently when metadata song changes are done by a source (mine namely),
icecast2 seems to want to disconnect each listener. I have confirmed that
on metadata song changes, on the source client, no closing of the sockets
are done, only logical vorbis bitstream closings....

you can see this very clearly by using wget on a icecast2 vorbis stream,
and when my source client sends new metadata, wget exits immediately..so
this is telling me that icecast2 is definately closing the socket...most
people probably don't notice this much because I believe both winamp and
xmms will immediately try reconnect at least once, which succeeds (and has
the also unlikely effect of rebuffering many times)...

anyway, I would love to provide a patch for this for icecast2, as I am
currently swamped with work, but I thought I would at least mention it....