[icecast] NEWBIE QUESTION - ERROR [BAD PASSWORD]

Lukas Bulwahn Lukas.Bulwahn at gmx.de
Wed Nov 20 08:38:51 UTC 2002

I have installed the icecast server on my Debian Linux 2.2. I modified the
distributed icecast.conf (as far as thought was necessary), and I set up the
shout.conf...
Both server and shout are started from root and are set up to localhost.

I could start the server, but when I started shout, it did find the server,
but it was blocked with the message "BAD PASSWORD[encoder]" even if the
password matched exactly.
So, I changed the icecast server encoder_password with "set encoder_password
now" to "now" and the server affirmed the change.
Then I started shout with the option "-P now", but still the message "BAD
PASSWORD[encoder]".
I don't know what I did wrong, but probably the error is somewhere totally
else than I have been looking for.

I have attached the config files I changed, so if I made a mistake setting
up those
config files, please mail the changes which have to be done.