[icecast] Freedomaudio player

Karl Heyes karl at pts.tele2.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 12:28:30 UTC 2002

On 2002.11.12 11:52 Leo Currie wrote:
> Karl Heyes wrote:

> Just came in this morning and it is sitting there using 98.5% cpu and
> 47.6% memory. So yes - memory usage goes up as well. My playlist is
> 'clean' of mp3's now, so it's something else..

Yes, it's a case of normal running is fine, but on some network error
one or more threads go into busy loop not emptying it's queue.

> Strange thing though - I'm using 2 instances in my config file (2
> different bitrates, same playlist), and it's only one mountpoint that has
> gone - there other is still running fine.

That can happen, usually there is some fluctuation and depending on
the tollerance that can stuff the just one or even all the streams.  A
lower bandwidth stream won't sent as much data for instance.

>> It's a very nasty bug, but only occurs if the connection to icecast
>> terminates unexpectedly, eg ctrl-C icecast or if the time on the ices
>> machine changes significantly.  Try the attached patches if that's
>> the issue.
>
> Well, Icecast is still running, and my clock is on time - how significant
> a change do you mean?

Well assuming a pure clock change, a change of 10 secs could cause an
extended sleep period in which icecast could drop the connection. In
this case increasing the source-timeout is not the right solution as
a 10 second gap in audio streaming is really bad!
A simple log message could help track those type of problems. If the
sleep is over say 2 seconds then show warning. hmmm patch brewing!!.

> Thanks for the help - I'll try those patches anyway!

The send_raw one fixes the busy loop problem, and the ices patch
prevents excessive memory usage and few seg vaults that had shown up.

karl.