darkice problems (was Re: [icecast] Propping up liveice)

Matt Boersma matt at sprout.org
Tue May 28 03:19:16 UTC 2002

I tried darkice 0.9 with icecast 1.3.12 and lame 3.91.  I specified a 64k
stream and similar options to what works for us with liveice.

Streaming worked successfully, and I applaud darkice for being fairly
simple to build and configure.  But the stream sounded like mud.  It was
worse than our 16k mono RealAudio stream.  I re-examined my config, I
rebuilt everything with gcc 2.96, then with gcc 3.01, with no compiler
opts, with some agressive ones, and even tried a prebuilt Mandrake RPM for
lame, thinking that darkice's interfacing with the lame shared lib might
have been a problem.  But no luck--it still sounded horrible.

I then consulted this newsgroup's archives and did some googling and found
a couple references that implied that darkice was now more focused on
icecast 2 support and now had broken lame support for icecast 1.x.  I
assumed that was my problem.  I thought about building an older
darkice--maybe 0.5 or whichever was the last one *not* to require lame as
a shared lib--but had already put too much effort into it.

If other folks have it working correctly for a 24x7 live 64k stream
against iceast 1.3.12, I'm all ears.

-Matt