[icecast] multicast (was streaming)

Bryan Payne speedwolf at door.net
Fri Feb 1 06:48:42 UTC 2002

Hi Jack, Ross & all...

We have been working with V-Trails in refining their solution for Mp3
streaming and will be bearing the fruits of this labor starting this weekend
publicly with 5 different "Audiorealm Network" stations for first initial
public testing - after final testing we look to release this solution
NETWORK wide - making the Audiorealm.com Network effectively the first
Network 100% peer Multicast enabled.

We successfully tested and refined their solution to work with our current
WMA offerings and with the help of Louis our CTO, he helped define the new
V-Trials Mp3 solution. Indeed this package works with either Windoze or Unix
Icecast and Shoutcast mp3 servers.

We are also looking at implementing the solution to support Ogg/Vorbis as WE
HOPE everyone will gain more expectance of ogg/vorbis formats.

SAM V-2 also coming in a Linux flavor thanks to Kylix and is enabled with
the peer Multicast solution for reporting statistics, management and more...

So indeed now standard unmodified Icecast or Shoutcast server solutions can
function very nicely in a "Multicast" environment - all that it will take is
the VT-caster Server component on your streaming servers Network
infrastructure and the listener to endure a 1 time install of a small
plugin. The listener will then still have the freedom to use ANY Mp3
streaming player/application they choose. We thoroughly tested VT-Caster
system now for over 4 months with fantastic results - basically enhancing
our Networks resource ability by about 85% and as we tweak it keeps getting
better..

We've been asked by V-Trails to allow Slashdot to utilize the system for a
Techcast scheduled sometime early next month as well - so I assume they will
put our system through it's paces..

Bryan Payne
Spacial*Audio Solutions
1-806-740-4100 - office