[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 30 15:49:21 UTC 2002

Behold, Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> hath decreed:

> > It's icecast. It's part of xiph. It's the same project. Presumably it's
> > the same developers. I don't care about the similarity of the code
> > bases. One is released, the other one is not (alpha versions are not
> > releases).
>
> No. Whilst it originally shared one developer, the current version does NOT
> share any developers with icecast 1.x. Since nobody seems even slightly
> interested in continuing development of 1.x (bitching about it is not the
> same...), it's not going to change.
>
> If _you_ want to pick up maintaining it - or if you want to go to the effort
> of finding maintainers for it, feel free. I'm certainly not going to - I
> don't have any interest (and never have had) in icecast 1.x.
>
> Stop bitching, and do something, or shut up.

Give me access to icecast.org and I will. Otherwise, are you asking me
(or others) to go ahead and hijack the project, or to take all of the code
and call it something else? Aside from a few minor problems (an occassional
crash in ices and icecast not cleaning up properly during shutdown from an
suid'd run), I don't really have many problems with icecast1. The directory
servers don't appear to be working very well, but it's not a problem with
the client, apparently. I'll be happy to update the web page, however, and
I'll even include icecast2 status if some developers want to give me a
high-level progress report. If no one is willing to offer me or anyone else
this access, then replies like yours are just trolls.

prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
"Every man is a mob, a chain gang of idiots."
                           - Jonathan Nolan, /Momento Mori/