[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Sun Dec 29 14:27:15 UTC 2002

gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
> Well, the way I see it, icecast.org is some zombie webserver that nobody
> really has access to any more, or other really time intense steps have

With all due respect, this is ridiculous. You're saying that the site
icecast.org, which was the home page for icecast 1.x for serveral years,
is a 'zombie webserver' that has nothing to say about icecast, be it
past or future versions? I mean: what site would talk about a project
called icecast then?

> to be taken to do something. Since there's no nearly current note on
> icecast.org about anything, I suppose putting that little note up would
> equal the complete fixing of icecast.org. It's a matter of time that can
> only be spent by 1-2 people or so (iirc), and they don't have it. This
> is an unfortunate situation, but it has nothing to do with "secrecy" or
> any other bad intentions, I'm really sure about that.

I guess the time spent writing this e-mail would have been more than
enough to complete the task mentioned here.

> Icecast, as the world knows it, *is* dead. Icecast2 is a new,
> independent program, as Mike already pointed out.

Hm, and where can I find out about it? (Back to square one here.)

> Uhmm well, that's what CVS access and Mike's alpha1 release is for.
> Sure, it's annoying not to have a prominent place for those tarballs...
> anyways, literate people can already figure out that there's something
> like Icecast2 by using Google (e.g. by searching for "streaming ogg
> vorbis", w/o quotes). Results include CVS checkout and installation

I just can't find it a rational move to positively hide a project like
icecast2 from the general public. And sorry, no sane administrator will
deploy a server that has no official release version, only an alpha in a
CVS. (This makes me insane, BTW.) Why alienate people from icecast in
general, and make them chose other solutions?