[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Sun Dec 29 10:43:36 UTC 2002

gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
> Aaron Gaudio wrote:
>
>>Where is it released? Telling me I have to set up cvs to download
>

> http://www.xiph.org/~msmith/
>
> This has been said before.

This is no good. This is by far not the first time someone has pointed
out, that icecast2 is not mentioned _anywhere_ where one would expect to
find it. By this I mean locations like icecast.org, freshmeat.net, etc.
I wonder how people start to hear about icecast2. But when they do, the
_only_ way to find the actual software is to come to this list and ask.

Is this any good? Is there a reason for such secrecy?

>>>I never said that it's a final release, I said "alpha release". It's not
>>
>>Then how is it a replacement for icecast1? How is a fully released
>>icecast1 obsoleted by an alpha release?
>

> Who said Icecast2 is a replacement? -2 can do most things -1 can do, so
> maybe -2's different features are better for you? Use -2 then. It isn't?
> Use -1. Or Shoutcast. Or Realmedia's Helix. Or whatever else there is.

It was mentioned earlier, that icecast 1.x os no longer being developed,
that it is obsolete, etc. Thus it is a dead project. But is it replaced
by anything? Again, one looks at the icecast.org site, and has the
impression that this project is dead (last latest news being May 1 2002,
last icecast version released at April 10 2002).

Only if one is initiated into the inner circles will know, that there is
something new to come. By no means will someone, who just wants to _use_
icecast2 subscribe to this development list and find out.

I also find it a very lazy excuse to say that icecast2 is still in
development, thus it is not mentioned anywhere. As Linus has said:
"release early, release often". Why not make 0.x releases to the public?

Or is this just a reasoning to cover the lack of will to make icecast2
final?