[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Dec 28 21:07:12 UTC 2002

Dale Ghent wrote:
> Icecast2 is icecast2. I'm talking about it's lack of innovation (ogg
> streaming! woopdefuckingdoo) as well as it's lack of functionality that
> doesnt even near icecast 1.x (yp, acls, metadata, web-based admin).

Apparently, you haven't tried Icecast2-alpha, yet. YP should work on
Icecast2's side, but my understanding is that the current directory
servers don't support it yet. Or I'm wrong and it works - I really
should try this. Metadata works for a long time now, ACLs are missing
(but you can get around most issues via tcpwrappers), don't know about
web-based admin (either it's there, or will be there soon, plus there's
a lot that can be done by the source client). In addition to that, it
supports chroot() and ch[g,u]id()ing for additional security. And yes,
Vorbis streaming is innovative, you just don't care.

> Tell me, in the past year, where exactly HAS icecast gone? Absolutely
> no-where. Don't throw this Cathedral and the Bazaar crap around as a

It has gone from something that takes Vorbis and spits it out, while
doing not much else, to something useful.

> want to use shoutcast/live365. As for audio formats, there are abosolutely
> no reasons for me to move to OGG, becase icecast2 does not allow me to
> provide the same service and experience to my users as streaming mp3s with
> icecast 1.x does.

Could you give me some examples? The only thing I personally miss in
Icecast2-alpha at this point is to see who's currently listening (It
tells only the amount of current listeners the last time I checked. At
this point, I know who listened after he/her disconnected fom the log
entries). But then I also consider this a minor detail...