[icecast] the dummy playlist... chaining a clip to a stream.

Karl Heyes karl at pts.tele2.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 17:40:59 UTC 2002

On 2002.12.04 16:00 Ethan wrote:

>  So I would like to attempt to do something that I've seen done with WMA
> streams. I would like it so when a listener connects, it plays back a 20
> second audio clip announcing who pays for it, then rolls into the real
> audio stream.
>
>  Any suggestions? I checked to see if there really was a file for the
> dummy playlist that is referenced in links, hoping that I could shove a
> pointer to the static served audio announcement first. No go there.
>
>  I realize it presents all sorts of wierd issues, and if people directly
> link to the audio stream then it wouldn't work... but is there any way to
> accomplish this task?

conceptually possible with icecast, but you don't want to do any
encoding there, just send out a preprocessed file.  It's the only
place that knows of client connects and that can kick off a sample
before the main stream.  It wouldn't work with relays unless the
relays did that as well.

I not aware of anything in place for this though.

karl.