[icecast] intended login protocol for icecast2

smoerk smoerk at gmx.de
Mon Aug 19 09:11:10 UTC 2002

oddsock wrote:

> well, don't get me wrong, I am not generally opposed to progress, but
> speaking as a coder of source clients, providing yet another
> authentication mechanism is a bit frustrating....
>
> I guess it wasn't too bad having to deal with
> Shoutcast/Icecast/Icecast2 specific connection protocols (yes they are
> ALL different!) but I am NOT going to support
> Shoutcast/ICecast/Icecast2 (ICE Login)/Icecast2 (HTTP Basic
> Auth)/Icecast2 (HTTP Digest)...

there should be only one login protocol for icecast2. are there any
advantages of HTTP Basic Auth over ICE/1.0? There are several programms
which have to be changed:

Server: Icecast2, Jroar
Clients: Darkice, Ices2, OddcastDSP, Ostream, Oggcast (PD external),...

Not only the coders have to change, but people have to download (,
compile) and install the new software. So we as developers should agree
on one login protocol.