[icecast] intended login protocol for icecast2

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon Aug 19 03:23:58 UTC 2002

well, don't get me wrong, I am not generally opposed to progress, but
speaking as a coder of source clients, providing yet another authentication
mechanism is a bit frustrating....

I guess it wasn't too bad having to deal with Shoutcast/Icecast/Icecast2
specific connection protocols (yes they are ALL different!) but I am NOT
going to support Shoutcast/ICecast/Icecast2 (ICE Login)/Icecast2 (HTTP
Basic Auth)/Icecast2 (HTTP Digest)...

now probably the correct answer to this is to get libshout to do all this
connection song-and-dance....but in order for *me* to use it, it must at
least support :

- Connection protocols for Shoutcast/Icecast/Icecast2 (all variants)
- Metadata updates for all server types (this *includes* inserting the
metadata into the vorbis stream for icecast2 *and* Shoutcast style metadata
updates)

last I checked (and granted libshout has been getting a lot of commits of
late) this stuff wasn't in there...

just my .02

oddsock