[icecast] intended login protocol for icecast2

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Mon Aug 19 11:57:04 UTC 2002

smoerk wrote:
> > I guess it wasn't too bad having to deal with
> > Shoutcast/Icecast/Icecast2 specific connection protocols (yes they are
> > ALL different!) but I am NOT going to support
> > Shoutcast/ICecast/Icecast2 (ICE Login)/Icecast2 (HTTP Basic
> > Auth)/Icecast2 (HTTP Digest)...
>
> there should be only one login protocol for icecast2. are there any
> advantages of HTTP Basic Auth over ICE/1.0? There are several programms
> which have to be changed:
>
> Server: Icecast2, Jroar
> Clients: Darkice, Ices2, OddcastDSP, Ostream, Oggcast (PD external),...
>
> Not only the coders have to change, but people have to download (,
> compile) and install the new software. So we as developers should agree
> on one login protocol.

Well, Icecast2 was never released so far, neither as an alpha preview
nor a beta (which, afair, will happen soon, though). People always had
to get it through CVS...

I find even harsh changes like this, changing the login protocol, should
be expected until it's officially beta. How I understand this, http
basic auth will be default for Icecast2, while still offering the
deprecated ICE Login for compatibility reasons (e.g. for older source
clients that only support MP3 streaming, which also don't enjoy any
further developement).

My theory, however, has a flaw. It doesn't quite fit when ICE Login from
Icecast1 and -2 are different. ;P Can someone tell me whether this
difference is there on purpose, or simply because Icecast2 is still in
its relatively early developement stage?