[icecast] ices 0.2.2 compile problems Py_Initialize and cannot find -lz

harvey smith harvey at buskers.org
Mon Sep 10 07:07:51 UTC 2001

On 9 Sep 2001, ben wilson wrote:

> Hey Harvey -- all you need to do is to add -lutil to the $LIBS list
> around line 3968 of "configure"
>
> LIBS="-l$lib -lm -ldl $LIBS"
> becomes
> LIBS="-l$lib -lm -ldl -lutil $LIBS"
>
> should solve yer problems.

Thanks... though it didn't work ; - )
It was enough to head me in the right direction though.

I'm running python1.5 and ices-0.0.1 had no problem finding the
python libs. With ices-0.2.2 though I have to pass configure both
--with-python-includes=/usr/include/python1.5 and
--with-python-libraries=/usr/lib/python1.5/config. It was this
second one that I had wrong, I was passing just /usr/lib/python1.5
to it. Now it works (with or without adding -lutil to the LIBS
line.) So maybe the -lutil thing is just a Python2.x issue.

Although this now gets me through the ./configure stage the make
still exits with the '/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz' error. Turns out
this is related to XML, although configure say XML is good to go.
I'm not sure what is up here, I'm using a slightly newer version of
libxml2 than I had before from an rpm package, I suspect maybe the
rpm isn't doing an post-install script properly or something.

This isn't critical for me though, I just hard coded my
configuration in src/definitions.h and then compiled without xml
support. When I have time I'll try a different libxml2 pakage and
see if that helps (like when I dig up the older one I used to have.)

Again, thanks for your help!

Harvey