[icecast] ices 0.2.2 compile problems Py_Initialize and cannot find -lz

ben wilson ben at thelocust.org
Mon Sep 10 02:23:06 UTC 2001

Hey Harvey -- all you need to do is to add -lutil to the $LIBS list
around line 3968 of "configure"

LIBS="-l$lib -lm -ldl $LIBS"
becomes
LIBS="-l$lib -lm -ldl -lutil $LIBS"

hould solve yer problems.

also, around line 3957, in the 'for lib in python python2.0 python1.6,
etc, you may want to add python2.1 (if you have 2.1 installed, else it
may have trouble finding the python libraries)

On 09 Sep 2001 16:06:06 -0400, harvey smith wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having this same problem 'configure won't find Py_Initialize' I
> was hoping somebody could enlighten me as to exactly what I have to
> add to which file and when, while I'm configure'ing.
>
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Ben Wilson wrote:
>

> > First off, I managed to build iceS 0.2.2 with Python 2.1, though I had to
> > add -lutil to the $LIBS definition whilst ./configure'ing.  Otherwise,
> > configure won't find Py_Initialize
>
> Also in the make process it exits with this error:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o ices ices.o log.o setup.o stream.o util.o mp3.o cue.o metadata.o id3.o signals.o reencode.o ices_config.o playlist/libplaylist.a ../resolver/libresolver.a ../thread/libicethread.a ../avl/libiceavl.a ../log/libicelog.a -lpthread -lshout -lmp3lame -L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -L/lib -lm -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [ices] Error 1
>
> I recently rebuilt my system (RedHat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.19) and
> probably didn't re-install some needed rpm package, any clues as to
> what it is I have to do?
>
> Thanks For all you help and the great software!
>
> Harvey

.o0-x-x-x-x-x-x-0o.
    ben  wilson
 ben at thelocust.org

That, as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours; and this we should do freely and generously.

--benjamin franklin, Autobiography, Ch. 10