[icecast] ices 0.2.2 compile problems Py_Initialize and cannot find -lz

harvey smith harvey at buskers.org
Sun Sep 9 20:06:06 UTC 2001

Hi

I'm having this same problem 'configure won't find Py_Initialize' I
was hoping somebody could enlighten me as to exactly what I have to
add to which file and when, while I'm configure'ing.

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Ben Wilson wrote:

> First off, I managed to build iceS 0.2.2 with Python 2.1, though I had to
> add -lutil to the $LIBS definition whilst ./configure'ing.  Otherwise,
> configure won't find Py_Initialize

Also in the make process it exits with this error:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o ices ices.o log.o setup.o stream.o util.o mp3.o cue.o metadata.o id3.o signals.o reencode.o ices_config.o playlist/libplaylist.a ../resolver/libresolver.a ../thread/libicethread.a ../avl/libiceavl.a ../log/libicelog.a -lpthread -lshout -lmp3lame -L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -L/lib -lm -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [ices] Error 1

I recently rebuilt my system (RedHat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.19) and
probably didn't re-install some needed rpm package, any clues as to
what it is I have to do?

Thanks For all you help and the great software!

Harvey