[icecast] a few ices/icecast questions

brian moseley bcm at maz.org
Wed Oct 24 22:07:24 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Brendan Cully wrote:

> You should search the archives for 'otto' to see a good
> summary of your options here. Running ices to read from
> a FIFO and having ottojockeyd simply cat each song to
> that fifo should work fine.

whoops, sorry. i searched for a few other things, but should
have thought of that. duh.

i patched stream.c to exit instead of looping. it's an ok
workaround. i like the fifo idea tho. i'd come up with a
real patch for ices but i'm not a c coder. i can however
write a patch for otto, if you make the change to ices :)

> ices is threaded. Presumably one of those processes is
> the metadata update thread.

oh, duh. yesterday was a headhole day for me.

> icecast 1.3.10 had some problems with bitrates higher
> than 160. You might want to try 1.3.11, which had a fix
> specifically for this.

good to know. 1.3.10 is bundled with my distro (suse 7.2).
i'll upgrade and see what happens.

> on which platforms? I think just about everything but
> mpg123 does these days, but xmms does have some bugs in
> shoutcast-style streaming which may cause it to chew up
> the stream after a while. I sent in a bug-report and a
> half-assed patch to bugs.xmms.org about this...

hmm, i'm using xmms (1.2.4) and xaudiocast streaming. xmms
only seems to display the title of the first song in the
stream; it never updates.