[icecast] libpthread and icecast2

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Oct 22 06:53:07 UTC 2001

> That worked, but I do get a few linking warnings. Are these serious?
>
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: WARNING!  setkey(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: WARNING!  des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: WARNING!  encrypt(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: warning: tmpnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: warning: this program uses f_prealloc(), which is stupid.
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: WARNING!  des_cipher(3) not present in the system!
> /usr/lib/libc.so.4: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

I considering this a bug in FreeBSD.  To my knowledge icecast uses none
of these functions directly.  Nor really anything resembling them.

I'm not sure how to get rid of them :)  If you find a way, I will be
intereted to know how, since these are annoying and succeed in nothing
more than scaring everyone.

I suppose that something I'm linking uses these, but that basically
comes down to libxml or vorbis.  Vorbis doesn't uses these functions, so
I have no idea.

I think that the reentrant c library or some other standard thing uses
these, adn the linker just always outputs this message.  Who knows.

jack.