[icecast] a new directory service

Allen Landsidel all at biosys.net
Thu Oct 18 03:49:03 UTC 2001

At 09:33 PM 10/17/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>The ogg plugin author was not an employee.  He was a contractor.  He's
>still working on the plugin regardless.

Ah ok.. and is this plugin a general winamp plugin or a codec to plugin to
the DSP?  That's why I am concerned.. if it's a winamp plugin, that's
cool.  If it's a codec plugin then it's bogus, because the last version of
the DSP doesn't support different codecs.. you're forced into using LAME
and that's it.  As I said, the new DSP sucks. ;)

>possibly.  We'll see.  It only gets better from here :)

Ah ok.. cool enough.

> > I was talking about listener counts, not MAXTTL.
>If you mean controlling whether it's displayed on the server, then
>certainly those are server-configurable only :)  That's the only logical
>way for them to be :)

Yes.. you were so vehemently against the idea of listener counts that I was
thinking that you weren't going to have support for them in any way, shape
or form in this new project.. that's why I mentioned it. ;)

>Sniffing is quite difficult.  If you can sniff, you've likely gotten
>onto the box anyway and can cause other michief.  The chances of someone
>on your network wanting to muck with you is slim, and even so, challenge
>response prevents this.

Well to sniff they just have to compromise any box on the network, not just
one.  Even if it's switched, they can blow through the switch with bogus
ARP storms.. most (if not all) switches fail-open if their table fills up.

Anyway, point taken about challenge response.

There still are ways of course, but there always are, short of meeting in a
dark alley and exchanging cd's with keys on them. ;)

As you said.. not perfect, but adequate.  As long as there is some sort of
challenge-response.