[icecast] ices 0.2.2 does not reencode mp3s

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Nov 29 01:17:54 UTC 2001

Bolt Thrower wrote:
> > >     <Bitrate>64</Bitrate>
> > > My mp3s are encoded with the following command:
> > >   /usr/local/src/lame3.86/lame -S -V 1 -b 128 -h -m j \
> > >         --tt "title" --ta "artist" --tl "album" \
> > >         --ty "year" --tn tracknum song.wav song.mp3
> >
> > Your lame command shows 128kbps while ices.conf shows 64kbps. Maybe you
> > only changed ices.conf and forgot to alter the lame command?
> Thanks for the reply.  No, the lame command is used when I rip & encode
> my music for archival purposes, and isn't otherwise used at the time of
> streaming the mp3s.  In the command above, the '-b 128' sets the minimum
> allowed bitrate for VBR encoding.

Oups, sorry for me useless answer. I didn't read properly.

I had another idea, but after downloading ices-0.2.2 I found it wrong,
too. I only had a look at ices2 so far, and it needs 64000 as bitrate,
not 64 if you want 64kbps.

Hm. Brendan Cully writes that VBR might cause the problem, but according
to your lame commandline, it can't ever get lower than 128kbps... so
ices should be reencoding in any case.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. :P

Moritz