[icecast] ices 0.2.2 does not reencode mp3s

Bolt Thrower tyr at winter.teiresias.net
Wed Nov 28 19:43:53 UTC 2001

Brendan Cully wrote:

> The format of ices.conf changed somewhat in 0.2, to support multiple streams
> from the same playlist with different reencoding options. In short, these
> settings have been moved into the Stream node. For more info have a look
> at the sample ices.conf included with the distribution.

I did modify my ices.conf when I made the upgrade.

Here's my ices.conf in full:
---[start]-----
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ices:Configuration xmlns:ices="http://www.icecast.org/projects/ices">
  <Playlist>
    <!-- This is the filename used as a playlist when using the builtin
         playlist handler. -->
    <File>apan.txt</File>
    <!-- Set this to 0 if you don't want to randomize your playlist, and to
         1 if you do. -->
    <Randomize>1</Randomize>
    <!-- Either builtin, perl, or python. -->
    <Type>perl</Type>
    <!-- Module name to pass to the playlist handler if using  perl or python.
         If you use the builtin playlist handler then this is ignored -->
    <Module>ices</Module>
  </Playlist>

  <Execution>
    <!-- Set this to 1 if you want ices to launch in the background as a
         daemon -->
    <Background>0</Background>
    <!-- Set this to 1 if you want to see more verbose output from ices -->
    <Verbose>1</Verbose>
    <!-- This directory specifies where ices should put the logfile, cue file
         and pid file (if daemonizing). -->
    <BaseDirectory>/tmp/mydir</BaseDirectory>
  </Execution>

  <Stream>
    <Server>
      <!-- Hostname or ip of the icecast server you want to connect to -->
      <Hostname>cathedral</Hostname>
      <!-- Port of the same -->
      <Port>5150</Port>
      <!-- Encoder password on the icecast server -->
      <Password>*****</Password>
      <!-- Header protocol to use when communicating with the server.
           Use xaudiocast for icecast, or icy for shoutcast compatibility -->
      <Protocol>xaudiocast</Protocol>
    </Server>

    <!-- The name of the mountpoint on the icecast server -->
    <Mountpoint>ices</Mountpoint>
    <!-- The name of the dumpfile on the server for your stream. DO NOT set
         this unless you know what you're doing.
    <Dumpfile></Dumpfile>
    -->
    <!-- The name of you stream, not the name of the song! -->
    <Name>Bolt Thrower's Stream</Name>
    <!-- Genre of your stream, be it rock or pop or whatever -->
    <Genre>metal</Genre>
    <!-- Longer description of your stream -->
    <Description>Heavy ****** Metal!!!</Description>
    <!-- URL to a page describing your stream -->
    <URL><A HREF="http://www.teiresias.net/~tyr/metal/now_playing.php</URL">http://www.teiresias.net/~tyr/metal/now_playing.php</URL</A>>
    <!-- 0 if you don't want the icecast server to publish your stream on
         the yp server, 1 if you do -->
    <Public>0</Public>

    <!-- Stream bitrate, used to specify bitrate if reencoding, otherwise
         just used for display on yp and on the server. Try to keep it
         accurate -->
    <Bitrate>64</Bitrate>
    <!-- If this is set to 1, and ices is compiled with liblame support,
         ices will reencode the stream on the fly to the stream bitrate. -->
    <Reencode>1</Reencode>
    <!-- Number of channels to reencode to, 1 for mono or 2 for stereo -->
    <Channels>2</Channels>
  </Stream>
</ices:Configuration>

Thanks,