[icecast] ices 0.2.2 does not reencode mp3s

Brendan Cully brendan at icecast.org
Wed Nov 28 19:57:36 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 28 November 2001 at 12:43, Bolt Thrower wrote:
> > The format of ices.conf changed somewhat in 0.2, to support multiple streams
> > from the same playlist with different reencoding options. In short, these
> > settings have been moved into the Stream node. For more info have a look
> > at the sample ices.conf included with the distribution.
>
> I did modify my ices.conf when I made the upgrade.

Ah, yes, that's correct. The problem is that your MP3s are encoded as VBR
(which is incidentally why 0.1 crashes on you). 0.2.2 has a possibly
ill-considered feature that avoids reencoding files if they are already
at the same bitrate as the target bit rate. But it determines the bit
rate by reading the first MP3 frame only, so it is easily fooled by
VBR files. The next release, when I get a couple hours, will either
revoke this feature, make it optional, and/or try to detect VBR files
and unconditionally reencode those.

In the meantime, you might try 0.2.1, which isn't much different but
doesn't have the aforementioned "feature". Still, VBRs haven't been
much tested and and are not officially supported. So 0.2.1 may still
crash on you. Try it out though...

fyi jack, I did almost finish the updates to libshout2. I'll get those to
you this week :)

-b