[icecast] Icecast 2 questions.

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Nov 17 01:56:39 UTC 2001

At 05:37 PM 11/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Geoff!
>
>Thanks for your help on all of this!
>
>Well everything compiled happily. libshout, ices and icecast.
>I've been messing about with ices and icecast .xml config files
>but I'm a bit confused.
>
>Does this new ices only handle live input from the sound card or
>can I send it a batch of files to use?

There are two example config files in ices2. ices-playlist.xml,
and ices-live.xml. The playlist one is what you want, but you
WILL want to modify it. They're examples, and use a set of
options I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to use in a real
system.

>I'm not even sure that it's working because when icecast runs, and
>ices runs, I try to connect to the source from another machine
>and it says stream not found. Yet, ices is taking up like 95% cpu time.
>I looked in contrib and saw a run_ices script that makes a xml file,
>but
>it doesn't seem to work for me.

Make sure you set the mountpoint to something ending with ".ogg", several
players break if you don't do that (they suck).

The high cpu usage is probably because it's encoding - for live input
you have to encode, and the playlist example config turns reencoding on
for one mountpoint (as an example of how to do it). So turn that off.
The logfile is set in that file to /tmp/ices.log, so you can look in
there and see if any error messages are being produced.

Michael