AW: AW: [icecast] final question: how many mountpoints can icecast handle ?

Andreas Gunzenhauser andrew at baselbiet.ch
Wed Nov 7 12:44:05 UTC 2001

Hello Michael

damn, I was afraid of that, but thanks for lightening me up
(although I am in complete darkness now, after having seen
the light just some days ago..)

I'm looking into http streaming of the static files just now,
but I came to find that there is one huge drawback:

1. when sending the stream out with icecast/shoutcast
   it would be possible to "push" the next song in, even
   let the user influence this so that he could act like
   when playing a CD, so he could go on to the next song etc
   and request specific songs from his playlist.

   Unfortunately, as it turned out, icecast is thought to
   send a FEW source-streams to MANY users. What I want to do is send
   ONE source-stream to ONE user, so it will be as many source streams
   as there will be users.

2. When using http streaming, sending ONE static mp3 file to one user
   works fine, apache can handle many such streams, but the user
   could then just have ONE file sent, then select the next and play it
   etc -> so its again a computer-thing, no stereo-like interface that
   even my mum could use when connected to the internet to look for songs,
   add to playlist and let them be played by a continous stream.

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't know about a way to
do such a thing to have a way to interact with the stream.

Anybody ?

best regards,

Andrew