AW: [icecast] final question: how many mountpoints can icecast handle ?

Andreas Gunzenhauser andrew at baselbiet.ch
Wed Nov 7 10:24:22 UTC 2001

Hi Jack

thanks a lot for the inside information about the mountpoints.

So what you're saying is that I need for my project when
doing with icecast 1.x

- per 25-50 concurrent users one single server

So problem is, if I wanted to handle, say 1000 streams,
I would need 200 Servers..this puts the concept a bit
in jeopardy because that would push the cost of the service
into astronomical..in comparison to handling, as I had planned
until now, 500 individual streams per server.

So I guess I'll have to wait until Icecast 2 for doing
a real prototype of this.

Just so that I get this right - if I have 1000 different on-demand
streams (its on-demand radio from huge mp3-library for users)
mountpoints are definitly the way to go, yes ? Or am I on the woodpath ?

Thanks a lot

Andrew