[icecast] broadcast FM radio

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Wed May 16 09:40:34 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:55:46AM -0700, Tim Pozar wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 04:43:01PM +0100, ricard at libertysurf.fr wrote:
> > I want to broadcast FM radio.
> > Can i pass data directly from my radio card to livecast
> > and finally to my server, or must i pass data in the sound
> > card after the radio card and before liveice?
>
> I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do.  Are you
> trying to stream an existing FM station over shoutcast?  Assuming
> you are running a UNIX-like OS like *BSD or Linux, that is pretty
> easy with an FM card like the Hauppauge TV/FM card driving the
> analog input of a sound card like a Sound Blaster.  At that point
> taking the /dev/dsp PCM audio and shoving it into something like
> my MIXICE perl script (http://www.lns.com/papers/mixice) or Liveice
> (http://star.arm.ac.uk/~spm/software/liveice.html) program will do
> the trick.

i guess he wanted to ask if it's really needed to use a cable to bring
the fm-card audio into the soundcard linein, or it can be done
internally thru buffers.

if that was the question the answer is you can do it internally,
theoretically: there are two different dsp devices for the fm-tuner
audio and for the souncard, you could move the sound internally
while keeping free the line-in of your soundcard (and eventually mix
something from it). i said theoretically because there's no software
that does it, alltough a slick code would do the job.

btw i find it a nice feature, i guess i'll include it in future into
MuSE (http://muse.dyne.org), which you can also use in the way Tim
described, just like liveice and mixice.

> If you want to FM broadcast a stream, then get your self a FM
> transmitter kit like the Ramsey (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com)
> FM10A transmitter kit and have the audio card drive it.

well, just to add some interesting link to the discussion, there's
a nice experiment done with a shortwave receivers, have a look on
http://www.radio.rai.it/webradio (it uses realaudio but the guy told me
it's going to switch to icecast soon)

greets

--
jrml ..//korova.dyne.org
6EEE 4FB2 2555 7ACD 8496  AB99 E2A2 93B4 6C62 4800