[icecast] broadcast FM radio

Tim Pozar pozar at lns.com
Wed May 16 15:55:46 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 04:43:01PM +0100, ricard at libertysurf.fr wrote:
> I want to broadcast FM radio.
> Can i pass data directly from my radio card to livecast
> and finally to my server, or must i pass data in the sound
> card after the radio card and before liveice?

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do.  Are you
trying to stream an existing FM station over shoutcast?  Assuming
you are running a UNIX-like OS like *BSD or Linux, that is pretty
easy with an FM card like the Hauppauge TV/FM card driving the
analog input of a sound card like a Sound Blaster.  At that point
taking the /dev/dsp PCM audio and shoving it into something like
my MIXICE perl script (http://www.lns.com/papers/mixice) or Liveice
(http://star.arm.ac.uk/~spm/software/liveice.html) program will do
the trick.

If you want to FM broadcast a stream, then get your self a FM
transmitter kit like the Ramsey (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com)
FM10A transmitter kit and have the audio card drive it.

Tim

--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247