[icecast] need help/ideas please, oh and answers

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Jun 1 22:43:33 UTC 2001

> happily use it.  My system works pretty well except for a number of
> small issues I am still working on.

It is my understanding that you have the highest bitrate stored and you
just want to re-encode the files on the fly over a stream. You do this
rather than just store all the different enc rates.

Correct my assumption, but can't ices create playlists from perl scripts?
Couldn't you just set the playlist/connections to icecast up by using
custom mountpoints that are dynamically assigned to the user. I would do
this by having them login to the website and then 'their' stream is just a
md5 hash of their username. When the pick a file to stream their bitrate
is then sent to ices to stream to their 'mountpoint'. Looking similar to
this:

http://mp3.yourdomain.com:8000/aWNlY2FzdHJvY2tz

I guess this is just a question of what limits what you can do with the
ices perl playlist generation. Is there any documentation on the subject?

JStanley