[icecast] A few Newbie Questions

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Feb 26 00:38:29 UTC 2001

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Sean /The RIMBoy/ wrote:

> You could do a simple adduser.  Then use your favorite editor and open up
> the /etc/passwd file (again as root).  You'll need to read up on what each
> of the fields are, but in short you'll want to * the password
> field for that new user.  You'll also want to change the shell to
> /bin/false.

This would only work if passwords are stored in plain ASCII in the
/etc/passwd file.  Frankly, anyone who allows that is asking for trouble
(IMHO).  I'd highly recommend using the passwd and chsh commands to do the
same thing.  Much less risky, since you don't really want to muck up
/etc/passwd, do you.

Geoff.