OT: Re: [icecast] A few Newbie Questions

Sean /The RIMBoy/ sean at rimboy.com
Sun Feb 25 21:12:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Geoff Shang wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Sean /The RIMBoy/ wrote:
>
> > You could do a simple adduser.  Then use your favorite editor and open up
> > the /etc/passwd file (again as root).  You'll need to read up on what each
> > of the fields are, but in short you'll want to * the password
> > field for that new user.  You'll also want to change the shell to
> > /bin/false.
>
> This would only work if passwords are stored in plain ASCII in the
> /etc/passwd file.

You mean crypted in plain ASCII in the /etc/passwd file.  I've not heard
of any *nix storing the passwd in unencrypted plain text for years.  I'd
be surprised if there is still one around.

>  Frankly, anyone who allows that is asking for trouble (IMHO).

Got NIS?  Across two different hardware platforms?

> I'd highly recommend using the passwd and chsh commands to do the
> same thing.

Not a bad option.  A quick glance at the passwd manpage yields two
options, -l which stick a ! into the passwd field w/ the passwd, and -d.

> Much less risky, since you don't really want to muck up
> /etc/passwd, do you.

Well, I assumed a certain amount of familiarity with *nix.  My bad.

--
Sean...
A flute with no holes is not a flute.  A donut with no hole is a danish.