[icecast] A few Newbie Questions

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sun Feb 25 20:23:20 UTC 2001

'nobody' is already an unpriveledged user on most systems.  You could
run icecast as nobody, and the only problem would be if you also ran a
webserver (since a security violation in either could potentially damage
the others files). In practice with icecast and a non-critical
webserver, this is probably fine.

As for the editing of /etc/passwd, remember that most systems, * the
password there by default, and the real password is elsewhere.
/etc/shadow is the place usually in linux.

jack.