[icecast] Newbie question

Joe Bowser bowserj at unbc.ca
Tue Dec 18 18:55:44 UTC 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, [iso-8859-1] Àngels Flores wrote:

> Hello!
>
> First, sorry if my english is not very correct :-)
> I'm a spanish student making a streaming project under Linux and I'd
> like to use Vorbis format but I have a problem. Now I have installed
> Icecast, LiveIce and the Lame encoder and they work... but in mp3
> format. Lame don't have any problem with Vorbis but Icecast  and
> LiveIce don't seem to support it.

OK, First off, use the OggVorbis encoder.  The LAME encoding doesn't work
correctly, and hasn't work correctly for awhile.

Secondly, get icecast2 and ices2 from xiph.org's CVS server (not
Icecast.org's CVS server, which should either be updated or shut down to
avoid confusion).  Make sure you also have libshout2 as well if you are
developing Ogg Vorbis Streaming.

Feel free to use either DarkIce or Ices2 to encode live input from
/dev/dsp.  If you are familiar with the OggVorbis API and libshout, then
it should be trivial to create a client for this.  (I'm not familiar with
libvorbis yet, I'm too used to libmp3lame. :P)

> In the vorbis list some people tell me that I may get the new version
> of Icecast, can you give me some advice?

The people on the vorbis list are right.  You should get the code from
xiph.org's CVS.

> I suppose this is the correct list to make this question, ... if I'm
> wrong sorry!

No, don't worry.  You're posting to the correct list.

Joe Bowser - bowserj at unbc.ca