[icecast] Remote Telecasts?

Hermann Schwaerzler Hermann.Schwaerzler at uibk.ac.at
Sat Dec 15 11:18:38 UTC 2001

hello

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Leo Currie wrote:

> > Does anyone have experience doing remote live broadcasts over Icecast?  My
> > thought is to use a Dell laptop running Windows (yeah, I know ;-),
> digitize
> > locally to 16khz, and pump the output to a remote Linux box.
> >
> > Has anyone done something like this before?  Thoughts?  Issues?
[...]
> Oh - we did it once using shoutcast over single (64k) ISDN line - 24k mono
> mp3 stream going to Shoutcast, and we also had a webcam uploading an image
> every minute. Again, no problems reported, no streams dropped.

we did a similar thing 2 years ago using an ISDN line (64k) on both ends.
both computers (studio & remote) connected to the same dialin-ISP and the
remote computer sent a live-stream (56kbit mono mp3) to the icecast-server
in the studio. on the same machine run mpg123 connected to this
stream, outputting it to the FM-emitter via the lineout of the
soundcard. we did not have any dropouts. the broadcast lasted 4 hours.

we also did it with normal modems at 24kbit mono mp3 using windows and the
oddcast DSP (www.oddsock.org) at the remote site. I can't remember the
exact settings, but I think we used 22kHz as our input sampling rate. you
have to listen to it to judge which one is better (16kHz or 22kHz).

one thing you have to consider is the significant delay (8 to 10 seconds)
you get. if you listen to your FM-broadcast on the remote-site you can
hear everything about 10 seconds later. which is sometimes funny.
sometimes it's a problem. :-)

hermann