[icecast] Metadata, again..

Brendan Cully brendan at icecast.org
Sat Aug 11 21:05:06 UTC 2001

On Saturday, 11 August 2001 at 16:53, Asymmetric wrote:
> Hmm two questions..
>
> Second, to the icecast guys.. what exactly is the problem with metadata
> currently?  Would it be terribly hard to just stream out an ID3 tag when

you tell me. Works alright here, except in xmms which has a bug in its
shoutcast metadata handler. I've submitted a patch at bugs.xmms.org
for it.

> the song changes and when a new user connects, at the beginning of their
> data?

probably not, but nothing would read it.

> I don't see any reason to send it at a particular interval, just on-change
> from the source is enough I would think.  AFAIK an ID3 tag is simply an

not necessarily.

> invalid frame in the stream that is skipped by any respectable decoder, and
> making the frame invalid is trivially simple.. I'm having a hard time
> understanding why this doesn't work.

because the clients skip the "invalid frame"?

> It's a real kick in the nuts to have to use shoutcast and all it's BS
> problems to just be able to show the song titles in winamp, which is
> undoubtedly the most widely used player.

The protocol you're talking about is exactly how shoutcast does
it. I've had no problems using shoutcast-style metadata to feed a
current winamp from a current icecast.

Please give icecast 1.3.11 a try, it should handle a general skipping
problem (not related to metadata) better than the last couple versions.

-Brendan