[icecast] yp.icecast.org || when does your stream come into the db?

Steve Glines sglines at is-cs.com
Fri Apr 13 01:44:19 UTC 2001

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > How do you define the mount points? Are they a directory within
> > /usr/share/icecast that contain an index.pls file for example?
> >
> > Forgive me but the documentation appears quite sparse here.
>
> A mountpiont is a fragment of a URL (often referred to as a URI) like
> '/stream1' or '/my_cool_stuff/stream.ogg'
>
> You tell shout, ices, or whatever what mountpoint to use.  It's
> arbitrary what you call it.
>
> Then the client requests that mountpoint, thus getting the stream.
>
> It's like making a file called index.html which you stick in the webroot
> diretory.  It's then accesible as /index.html.  Except hat in icecast,
> you use shout or ices to "make something accessible" and the mountpoint
> just becomes an artitrary moniker.

That much I figured out. I'm trying to use winamp to set up a remote
broadcast. Where do I tell (either icecast or winamp) what the mount
point is. When I use the shoutcast source it appears to create a mount
moint cammed ice_0. I have no idea where that comes from.

I see the /etc/mounts.aut file and the groups.aut and users.aut. I just
don't see where I make a connection between streem comming in and "mount
point" goint out.

Thanks in advance

SG

PS - I hope someone is keeping track of this ... it'll make a good FAQ.