[Icecast-dev] Unknown Icecast fails

Thomas B. Rücker thomas at ruecker.fi
Sat Sep 7 07:34:54 UTC 2019

Hi Lev,

On 9/7/19 5:04 AM, Lev Zhbakov wrote:
> I have node.js script, which works in daemon mode. The script reads IceCast ogg stream itself (on the fly) and sends audio tags to website.

My suggestion would be to look at the JSON metadata functionality:
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.1/server-stats.html
If you aren't running Icecast >= 2.4.1 (latest is 2.4.4), then you
*really* should consider upgrading as there have been important security
fixes and general improvements.

You can query /status-json.xsl directly from within a web page.

> But sometimes (exactly once per 2 days) the script fails end exit. Error log of the script says:
>
> Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND stream_url stream_url:8182
>     at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (dns.js:56:26)
[…]
> Also I have noticed, that if change stream_url on some another working ogg stream (not mine, just found via Google), no error occurs anymore. IceCast error log says nothing about it, just INFO and few WARN about web (favicon).

The reported error is in name resolution. So this is not really Icecast
related - something, somewhere fails to resolve the FQDN that is part of
$stream_url. You'll have to investigate this yourself.

> It seems IceCast crashes or disables domain or port somehow, or maybe not itself, but causes that effect.

Icecast (no CamelCase, please!) is not involved in the problem that you
are seeing.
"It was DNS, It's always DNS!"

> What is the problem can it be? Where to go? Can you help?

You need to investigate your DNS resolution problem - Anywhere between
that nodejs and the authoritative nameserver for the FQDN.

My recommendation remains to just use the JSON API and forget nodejs.
You will probably still have to address your DNS reliability.

Cheers,

TBR