[Icecast-dev] OPUS/FLAC Metadata

Rick Keniuk daddyo323 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 13:47:31 UTC 2017

Thanks Marvin,

Let me see if I’ve got this sorted in my brain before I discuss this my source encoder's company.  My source encoder, RadioCaster v2.5.0.0, is a reliable Windows OS broadcast encoder which streams many formats to several different types of servers as well as act as its own server for small numbers of clients.  When the encoder is configured to “push” a data stream to IceCast2, RadioCaster injects the metadata into the stream in what is now considered the legacy formatting:

GET/admin/metadata?mode=updinfo&mount=/mystream&mode=updinfo&song=ACDC+Back+In+Black (from the IceCast 2.3.1 documentation)

I can see this in my stream captures directed to IceCast2 on AAC, MP3, and OPUS (didn’t test FLAC). The problem with RadioCaster is that they need to do this only for AAC and MP3 streams.  Correct?

When I configure my source encoder to be a “pull” encoder (RadioCaster can be a direct server for small numbers of clients) it does not show metadata at the listening client for any of the formats.  This may be because they are still injecting the metadata as above, incompatible with the listening client, or are not injecting the metadata at all.  They may only encode the audio stream in this configuration.  I would imagine that when this is injected into the stream correctly, the “pull” encoder configuration will have a valid stream with metadata that will be decoded by the listening client. This will then be the same for the “push” encoder configuration sending that identically formatted stream to the IceCast2 server and in-turn to the rest of the listening clients.

New question…  In IceCast2, can this new method of inserting the metadata directly into the stream be done the same for all the formats OPUS, FLAC as well as AAC and MP3?  That might simplify the encoders code.  Or, will AAC and MP3 remain as they are injected currently in IceCast2?

So…    I will need to find the specification for injecting the OPUS/FLAC metadata directly into the stream and provide it to them.  While coaxing them to revise their application.  :-|

Or…  Find another Windows OS encoder with this metadata already properly injected for IceCast2 servers.

Rick