[Icecast-dev] OPUS/FLAC Metadata

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:18:28 UTC 2017

On 16 Jun 2017, at 5:41, Rick Keniuk wrote:

> Is this the HTTP call for injecting the “song” metadata?
> This is a capture (using RawCap in conjunction with Wireshark) of my
> AAC+ stream metadata input to IceCast that works fine.
>
> GET
> /admin/metadata?mode=updinfo&mount=%2FFVHradio_AAC&song=Fox%20Valley%20Hit%20radio%20-%20Hits%20from%20the%20Valley
> HTTP/1.0
> Authorization: Basic
>
> The same input to IceCast capture for OPUS that does not work.
>
> GET
> /admin/metadata?mode=updinfo&mount=%2FFVHradio_OPUS&song=Mike%20%26%20The%20Mechanics%20-%20The%20Living%20Years
> HTTP/1.0
> Authorization: Basic
>
> This it the output of my encoder which is DJsoft’s RadioCaster
> v2.5.0.0
>
> I think Marvin Scholz indicated that OPUS and FLAC do this differently
> but that makes it confusing for the encoder people.

This endpoint is for legacy streams like MP3 and AAC.
While it might work with other formats, it should NOT be used. It does
not matter if the source client or you use it through
the web interface. Both you and the source client should not use this
for anything else than MP3 and AAC or other unsupported
formats.

The source client is supposed to encode the metadata into the stream,
not use any endpoint whatsoever to send them, for Ogg and
other supported formats. There is nothing confusing about this. The
reason this is different for MP3 and AAC is, that it is simply
impossible to do that for these formats, which is why the endpoint you
mentioned exists. Kind of a hack to workaround the limitations
of the formats.

Note that FLAC metadata support is right now not fully working, Icecast
will not display them in the Web interface, afaik, but the
metadata should appear fine on the listener clients if they support it.