[Icecast-dev] OPUS/FLAC Metadata

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Fri Jun 16 15:28:40 UTC 2017

On 16/06/17 13:18, Marvin Scholz wrote:
> The source client is supposed to encode the metadata into the stream,
> not use any endpoint whatsoever to send them, for Ogg and
> other supported formats. There is nothing confusing about this. The
> reason this is different for MP3 and AAC is, that it is simply
> impossible to do that for these formats, which is why the endpoint you
> mentioned exists. Kind of a hack to workaround the limitations
> of the formats.

Reading OPUS OGG fileformat, the metadata is limited to the second
"page". In a live-stream, you could not send a new metadata
information... unless you send a logical "End of Stream" to the icecast
server followed by a new "Start of Stream" followed by new metadata. I
wonder if that is transparent to the client, because the client I use
stops reproducing when finding the EOS mark.

So, how OPUS metadata updates works?

I am deploying a new radio streaming service and I would love to use
OPUS streaming, but I don't understand how to send metadata updates to
icecast, how it send them to the clients and, moreover, current Debian
supported version is 2.4.0 (I could override that, of course).

That is, saying that OPUS metadata is embedded in the stream is
insufficient, because OPUS OGG specification clearly indicates that
metadata is ONLY legal at the very beginning of the file.

Please, provide more details.

* How source EXACTLY communicates metadata updates to the server? "Embed
it in the stream" is not enough information.

* How are those updates send to the clients?. Using legacy ICY?, OGG
embedding?. How it works in that case, because OGG only supports
metadata at the beginning of the stream, and stream concatenation (an
EOS followed with a Start Of Stream) is not supported by many clients...

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/