[Icecast-dev] 206 response for Chrome Mobile

Andrew Akers andrew at akrs.me
Wed Dec 9 17:39:31 PST 2015

Hi -

I'm using Icecast to stream some audio that I embed in an <audio> tag
on a webpage. This is working great for desktop browsers and on iOS,
but it doesn't work on Android.

It looks like Chrome mobile sends the header "Range: bytes=0-1" and
then doesn't try to load any more data when Icecast responds with a 0
byte "HTTP/1.0 200 OK" response. From my reading of the HTTP spec, it
looks like there's two options here: either ignore the range header
entirely, or return a 206 response along with headers indicating the
kinds of range responses we can deal with. Here, it doesn't look like
Icecast does either.

The headers:
Request:
GET /mount.mp3 HTTP/1.1