[Icecast-dev] Streaming AAC with libshout?

Thomas Rücker thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Tue Jun 25 05:28:11 PDT 2013

On 25 June 2013 12:16, marcin at saepia.net <marcin at saepia.net> wrote:
> "AAC is added as a supported streaming format
>
> Not too many source clients support streaming in this format, but we support
> it."
>
> Source: www.icecast.org, chapter Icecast Release 2.2.0.

~/src/icecast-trunk/src$ grep -i aac *
fserve.c:        else if(!strcmp(ext, "aac"))
fserve.c:            type = strdup ("audio/aac");

Yeah, that's all there is.
The 'support' was apparently essentially 'check if it does actually
work' in pass through mode also with AAC, not only with MP3.

We're not going to remove, pass through support, among other things
not to break backwards compatibility.

I'll soon send some more detailed thoughts on the whole situation.

Cheers

Thomas