[Icecast-dev] libshout crashing during pause

George R. Welch george at grwelch.com
Mon Sep 17 09:29:21 PDT 2012

Hello.  For various reasons I am writing my own source client.

Most things seem to be working well.  Connections work. shout_send() and
shout_sync() seem to behave as expected.

However, I find that if more than about 10-20 seconds passes between
shout_send() calls then libshout crashes (takes my client down) during a
subsequent shout_send().

Are there any rules about how often shout_send() should be called? (Yes,
I know about shout_sync.)

How can I keep the library from crashing if long stretches of time pass
with no input to the server?

Background:  What I want to do is periodically stream a file (or
several) to icecast, but with stretches of time in between with nothing
playing.  I want the mount-point active so that listeners can connect
(even if nothing is currently playing). Then whenever my client sends
another stream to icecast, the various listeners would just hear it.

I don't want to use shout_close() and then shout_open() again after the
long empty stretches, because then the listeners would have to reopen
the stream from the server.

Thanks,

--George

PS:  Sorry if there is a separate libshout list.  Please let me know if
this is the wrong place.