[Icecast-dev] yp.xml - Size and Contents

Assen Totin assen.totin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:39:43 PDT 2012

Hi all,

As we have moved to the Xiph server at OSUOSL - we have now disabled
> this limitation and will observe the situation.

A great news! 13K+ stations is much better than just 1K!

Personally I'm very
> disappointed that most clients downloading the yp.xml are not accepting
> compressed encoding. Right now the file is 4818606 Bytes in size, most
> clients download it uncompressed, but when transferred using Firefox
> will only use 436859(sic!) Bytes of actual traffic!
>
> Please encourage client software projects to fix their clients! (see
> also RFC 2616 section 3.5)

I am maintaining two Icecast-related projects, which both have been
switched to use compressed downloads:

- an XBMC add-on to listen to Icecast stations (part of the official
repository; see www.xbmc.org for details)

- an Android Icecast player (
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voody.icecast.player) -
the updated version 2.0 has just been pushed, will be live in about 24
hours.

Although it's not difficult to figure out, I'm available to answer
questions on his to implement compressed download (transparently or not),
how to deal with download progress bars in the case of compressed downloads
etc.

With my best regards,

Assen Totin