[Icecast-dev] make giss.tv as slave

Christoph Zimmermann nussgipfel at gmx.ch
Thu Apr 28 12:48:29 PDT 2011

hi facundo

Am Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:24:14 -0300
schrieb Facundo Suárez <suarez.jf at gmail.com>:

> Hi all there.
>
> I am trying to set up an icecast2 server (wich is already running) to
> send some stream mount point to another server. I mean, my server is
> streaming at /radio1.mp3 mount point. We can listen it at
> http://myserver:8000/radio1.mp3; so, i want to know if is there any
> way to "clone" that strem and send it to another server, such as
> http://giss.tv:8000/radio1.mp3
>
> I have been thinking about just use darkice to send some recivied
> stream to many other servers, but i thought that icecast may have the
> posibility to set up an "repeater" or whatever.
>
> Need some config in xml, just like:
>
>    <relay>
>        <server>192.168.1.11</server>
>        <port>8001</port>
>        <mount>/example.ogg</mount>
>        <local-mount>/different.ogg</local-mount>
>        <relay-shoutcast-metadata>0</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
>    </relay>
>
> but not for being a slave relay. Need to send to any other server (not
> mine, can't configure, just have an account, mount pont, user, pass)
> one of the streams in mine.
>
> Is this possible ?

as i know, icecast can not do such things.

> Just to be more specific:
>
> did you know, using darkice you can configure too many stream servers
> we can send our "radio signal" (for example), well, i wonder if we can
> make the same with icecast2. Darkice stream to any server
> just knowing user, pass, mount. I need to do the same, but with the
> streams on MY server. May be any other aplication do the trick.

the kind of thing you would like to do is a really common task when you
work with online radios. if it is to make a stream with a different
bitrate or with a different encoding (or convert a icecast to a
shoutcast stream...) it is basically the same.

on one side, your software is a online radio client, receiving a stream
on the other side it is a online radio source, sending the modified
stream.

for years i was using streamtranscoder from oddsock for this (doing
exactely what i wrote above, nothing more and it was mature) but this
project is now dead.

for my current radio server installations i use liquidsoap
(savonet.sf.net) to modify and clone my streams (it can do many more
things). works stable with icecast and shoutcast, supports mp3, ogg
vorbis, aac+ etc. and has a active community at the moment.

all the best
nuess0r