[Icecast-dev] Question about buffering with icecast protocol

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Jan 14 08:24:16 PST 2008

Hi,

Shoutcast has, or at least used to have, a 1 mb buffer.  This means that it
stores the last meg of the incoming stream and shoves it out to connecting
clients.  This is annoying because you can't turn it off and you can't (or
at least couldn't) change the size.  This meant about a 5-minute delay for
16kbps streams which are not so common now but used to be very common 5 or
6 years ago.

In Icecast, you can achieve this sort of behaviour with the various burst
parameters.  The stock Icecast config has it set to burst 64k of data to
connecting clients.  You can turn this off by setting the burst size to 0.

The burst size can also be set on a per mount basis I believe.

This raises a question I've been meaning to ask for awhile.  Is there any
reason why we have both burst on connect and burst size?  Compatibility
with older versions?  The burst size parameter would seem to be sufficient
if setting it to 0 disables it.

Geoff.