[Icecast-dev] Question about buffering with icecast protocol

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jan 15 02:41:19 PST 2008

Damián Lezama schrieb:
> OK, Thanks a lot Karl and Elf. It's clear to me now. Shoutcast gives you (by
> default) a much larger burst and that's the difference I was seeing.
>
> By the way: do you know sources for lists of stations? I see a "stream
> directory" at icecast.org, but I don't know if it's available to download (I
> think using a program to dig the info from the web is not ethical, as least
> without permission). Shoutcast has a nice directory but explicitly forbids
> using that information.
>
> I want to have a good station list in my program and I don't know how to get
> it legally :(
The icecast-yp has (or at least had) an option to export the full list
as an xml file.
This is used by the oddsock stream directory winamp plugin.

Last time I was reading into that there was a problem though. exporting
the full list is always done by generating it from the database and
hence is expensive. So frequently querying the list would simply kill
the yp-server due to sysload. There were some ideas to improve the yp
but I don't think they were ever implemented.

Cheers

Thomas