[Icecast-dev] Speex Support for Ices?

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Jul 16 16:32:43 PDT 2007

Hi,

"Burst on connect" isn't going to change the buffering.  It'll just affect
how quickly the client starts playing.

The main buffer in question here is that on the client.  Sending a burst of
data when the client connects will simply serve to fill the buffer up more
quickly, which results in the player beginning to play sooner.  It won't
reduce any latency, and if the player's buffer is smaller than the burst
size, it would probably increase it.

In my experience, the main factors in determining latency are the size of
the client buffer and the bit rate of the audio.  a 64k buffer will contain
the same amount of data regardless of the bit rate, but that data will
represent a longer period of time at lower bit rates than at higher ones.

As an example, the Shoutcast server at least used to have a fixed 1 MB
buffer which couldn't be altered.  At 16 kbps, this buffer represented
something like 5 minutes of audio.

The other thing to keep in mind, if low latency is important, is that vorbis
does have some in-built latency if my memory serves me correctly.  I do know
that speex is a lower latency codec, but I don't know how much latency the
ogg framework might introduce, nor how much would be introduced by the TCP
and HTTP overhead that Icecast is currently limited to.

I'm not an expert, but I'dve thought that something that is low latency
would need to use an UDP implementation such as RTP, such as in use in VOIP
applications.

Geoff.