[Icecast-dev] Speex Support for Ices?

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Jul 16 14:12:35 PDT 2007

roger schrieb:
> Using ices w/ icecast, I noticed a 15 second delay between live audio
> and live stream.
which is probably introduced by client side buffering.
If you want to minimize buffers - you should turn of burst-on-connect in
icecast.
> Another item I recently started researching, was using speex (speex.org
> related to ogg/vorbis).   I'm wondering if this might significantly
> reduce delay times.
It might even increase lag - depending on client software
If the client software uses fixed size buffers it will buffer longer
periods.
> One question I ponder is if user's players have the speex codec compared
> to the more popular vorbis/ogg codec.
Certainly fewer players will have support for speex I guess.

If you want to experiment with speex: I think ezstream can handle this.
oggfwd too

Cheers

Thomas

PS: I think this is off-topic here. This is more of an user question
than an question about further development of icecast?