[Icecast-dev] Writing Alpha Tags into the comments of an ogg stream

roger roger at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 16 12:03:27 PDT 2007

> Ideally you'd do it with the program which is encoding our stream.  You just
> start a new ogg stream when you want to change your metadata and use the
> appropriate tags.
>
> If this is not possible, you can also do this via Icecast.  It will insert
> the tags for you, creating the new stream.
>
> Here's what I've managed to turn up quickly as the appropriate syntax.  This
> really ought to be documented somewhere, but if you can't find anything
> either, you may find some source code useful.
>
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2005-March/008962.html

Figured it out.  Using Ices, I can either write to stdin or a file.

Using a file method:

$ cat metadata
artist=Eugene Oregon
title=Scanning

$ ps -ax |grep ices

$ kill -SIGUSR1 [pid of ices]

Writing to stdin method:

Partial answer is to use Icecast webserver:
http://localhost:8000/admin/updatemetadata.xsl?mount=/stream.ogg

(One issue I have to remember, I have have permission to write to where
ever I'm going to write/put the metadata or having to login with
user/pass.)

I would imagine using stdin, and as long as I'm on the host, I should be
able to do something like:
$cat metadata >
http://localhost:8000/admin/updatemetadata.xsl?mount=/stream.ogg

Probably the best solution for now:

My thoughts are to write a ~/.dsctl/metadata and have the *dsctl program
output metadata there and the user specify the location of the metadata
file.  If I can do this without much interruption of streaming with
using the kill SIGUSR1, metatags will probably have a change interval of
around 1 second.  (right?)

(*Dsctl is a program used to monitor this device's alpha tags because
only analog audio is being piped into the line-in of the sound card.)

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Mon Jul 16 11:35:13 PDT 2007